Physical Therapists are experts in the art and science of the evaluation and treatment of human movement and balance dysfunctions. We care for a variety of muscle, joint, and nervous system disorders that can affect your balance.
Don’t ignore the Facts:
- One of every three persons age 65 and older falls each year.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and accidental death in those over the age of 85.
- In 2005, 15,800 people 65 and older died from injuries related to unintentional falls.
- About 1.8 million people 65 and older were treated in ERs for injuries sustained from falls (CDC 2008).
Risk factors associated with falls:
- Older Age
- Vision Problems
- Muscle Weakness
- Medications (being on 4 or more)
- A History of Falls
- Medical Conditions (such as diabetes, arthritis, stroke, walking problems, fear of falling)
Your Physical Therapist will assess:
- Your Fall Risk
- Your Strength
- Your Balance
- Your Medical History
* Cited from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008 www.cdc.gov.
Don’t let a fear of falling keep you from being active.
The good news is that there clinically proven ways to prevent most falls and we can help.
A collaborative effort between your doctor and our physical therapy team can make a difference.
It Starts with a Thorough Evaluation
Physical therapy starts with a thorough evaluation of your health & fall risk factors. We will then set up on on a personalized prevention program to address the findings we identify during your initial visit.
Evaluation and Treatment May Involve One or More of the Following:
- Strength testing
- Flexibility testing
- Walking (gait) patterns
- Your health history
- Sight and hearing screenings
- Blood pressure
- Assistive/adaptive device use & education
- Footwear recommendations
- Review of your medications & side effects along with your physician
- Strength training
- Balance training
- Flexibility exercises
- Visual exercises
- Functional exercises
- Weight-bearing exercises
- Sleep hygiene
- Risk reduction/modification education
- A personalized home program
Everyone is different so treatment programs will vary. The best thing you can do is contact our office and schedule an initial evaluation for balance treatment & our fall prevention program. In most cases, insurance will cover it.
Call Us Today For More Information.
You Can Reach Us At (909) 792-5050.